Monday, March 14, 2011

Welcome to Second Grade! Today was my first day in Ms. Wendy Lock’s second grade classroom. It was a bittersweet moment switching from middle school and high school to second grade; however, after arriving to such a lovely welcoming sign, I was certain this would be a great experience! My first day was rather different than the last 8 weeks of student teaching. I forgot how touchy elementary students were compared to the older kids. I was given many hugs and handshakes today! The kids were very excited to have a new teacher in the classroom. Each child introduced themselves to me and told me where they were born, their nationality and their favorite food. (Who knew that second graders knew what nationality meant-only at an international school for missionary children!) We had a great morning reading and writing and I learned a lot about each of the students. The day went by very quickly and I was surprisingly more this afternoon.

This last picture is very unique to me because the books that my students are holding are in memory of one of the most Godly women I know-Dr. Jill A. Jones. These books were donated to Faith Academy by Liberty University in memory of a professor whose heartbeat was literacy and Jesus. I was able to be a part of this by bringing these books to Faith Academy in Manila, Philippines all the way from Lynchburg, Virginia. The students were so excited to have new books and were very grateful for the gift! Thanks Liberty University! Thank you Dr. Jones for making such an impact on my life and the lives of children to come!

More stories to come from the life of a second grade teacher! Thanks for reading! Have a wonderful Monday! May Jesus be more precious to you each day.

-Madison

Prayer Request:

-Patience and understanding in the classroom

-Opportunities to share the gospel

-Wisdom and Discernment for the future

-Contentment in my heart





1 comment:

  1. Wow! That would be a huge adjustment. I will be praying that God gives you an easy transition. The last picture is awesome! How awesome that you were able to give those books to them in honor of Professor Jones. It is a beautiful reminder to be focused on what will outlast our time here on earth. Love you, Mads!

    ReplyDelete