Friday, February 25, 2011

Daniel- the coolest two year old I know

I have a new friend. Many of you probably would recognize him or have asked me to bring him home with me; however, while bringing him home with me is not an option, (Kim, my roommate, would definitely not go for that…) he has stolen my heart. Sweet Daniel. Before coming to the Philippines, I saw pictures of Daniel and thought to myself, “I am going to get attached to him, I just know it”; and sure enough, here I am 6 weeks later wondering how hard it is going to be to say goodbye in May. Daniel is in the process of being adopted by Kim, my roommate. He used to live at Gentle Hands-the orphanage that I LOVE to go to on the weekends. We have become quite close and he melts my heart on a daily basis.

It is always nice to wake up to “SIN!!! Wake up!” followed by a little hand grabbing yours telling you to “COME.” Then there are the wonderful guitar concerts wearing nothing but Elmo briefs, if that. Daniel has brought new meaning to heights and climbing; his favorite being the barred door. If you get hurt, Daniel is quick to the rescue to “elp” you up and fix your ouch. I love to try to figure out what words he is trying to say when pee pee, sleeping, and beep beep all sound the exact same. Daniel loves to read, spell and count-with the exception of number 8.

With all of the funny moments, this precious little two year old has taught me a few valuable lessons: 1) When you get an ow (a hurt), kisses always make it better, 2) Jumping always makes things more fun, 3) Please and Thank you are the magic words!, 4) It doesn’t matter what color, size, shape or nationality a person is to be friends!

Thanks for reading. Hope to write again soon!

-Madison (mcwheeler@liberty.edu)

2 comments: