Saturday, February 12, 2011

I conquered Taal Volcano!

This past week I had the privilege of traveling to Taal Volcano and experiencing a week of Middle School Outdoor Education with Faith Academy! When I was told I could go with the group of 200 middle schoolers plus staff on this trip, I had no idea what I was in for! I had such an amazing week of roughing it and real encounters with the Lord. Here are a few snippets from my journal for the week:

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Today, the seniors and a few staff left for Taal Volcano! We took a short jeepney and a banca (small boat) to the main island. Prior to this day, the water on the lake was very choppy and we weren’t even sure if the boats would make it over; however, today the water was smooth and calm. The Lord answers prayers! After arriving to the island, we unloaded the bancas and set up the Taal Camp. This involved tents made of tarp and a CR (comfort room- aka toilet) that was a big hole in the ground. We started our hike up the volcano around lunch time. It was so very hot, but when we got to the top it was totally worth it. The water was bubbling hot in some places and the volcano was surrounded by hot sulfur mud. That I accidentally sunk into, blistering my heel. I actually got within a few inches of the main fumeral! After the hike, we rode the banca back right about the time the sun was setting. It was a great, hard, awesome day!

Monday: February 7, 2011

Today, we went up to the school that we are going to be doing ministry at and met the teachers. The teachers were so welcoming and greeted us with banana lumpia and coke! The school, San Isidro Itaas, was beautiful and simple. I am so excited to work with the kids in the following days! We also visited Pastor Vick and Raquel’s house and church. It was an open air church on the top of this mountain. The pastor and his wife produce soya to make soy milk that they feed to the malnourished kids in the area. It was definitely a reminder that church is not about the building, but about the presence of God. Thank you Lord for being more than the structure we go to. Thank you for your presence.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

We were up early to have devotions and breakfast, before helping the kids load up and move out to their sites. During the week the students stay at three sites: Reef, Taal, and Beach (Base) Camp. After the traffic calms down, I helped prepare the stuff for the chicken kill before leacing for ministry. This was our first day at the school with the kids. It was great! The boys painted a cross walk for the school and the principal was so thankful! In the afternoon, we taught the kids how to kill, clean and prepare their chickens! It was an interesting event and some of the kids were rather disgusted! I now can say I know how to kill, clean and prepare a chicken! I am not sure if that’s a good thing!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

This morning I rode on the back of a jeepney for the first time! It was awesome! I can’t wait to do it again! We were able to paint the gate at the school today! It looked really good after the students were done. Today, I realized what wonderful Godly mentors the Lord has placed in my life. I have had the privilege of learning and gleaning wisdom from two women at Faith Academy. I am serving right beside them this week and it has really made me appreciate their Godly influence in my life. God is so good.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Today was the last day at the school doing ministry and painting. We were able to paint the inside walls of the church to help Pastor Vick and Raquel. The Lord definite honored His Word and the Holy Spirit showed up at San Isidro Itaas. Over 100 children and 8 adults prayed to receive Christ! God is so good. I was overwhelmed with the presence of the Lord and how He moved in such a huge way! In three days, we have killed over 50 chickens! PETA would not be happy. I will sleep good tonight because I am completely exhausted!

Friday, February 11, 2011

The week is over and we are packing up the cars and heading back to Manila. This week has truly been amazing and the Lord has been so faithful to move in the hearts of His people. I pray that I continue to allow the Lord to use me in a way that honors and glorifies Him above all else!

Father, thank you for your safety and presence this week during outdoor education. I pray that you take the seeds that were planted and continue to nourish them until their hearts are enlightened with Your goodness. I pray that whoever reads this blog will be encouraged and draw closer to You. Lord, make us more like your Son, Jesus. Amen

-Mads

Mail:

Faith Academy
MCPO Box 2016
0706 Makati City
Philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment