Friday, January 21, 2011

The first week...

Today was my last day of my first full week of student teaching at Faith Academy in Manila, Philippines. When I arrived to the school last Friday, I knew from the start that I was going to fall in love with the school and the people who worked there. Boy was I right. From the first day on campus I began to build a relationship with the people I was working with and the students. For the first 7 weeks I am teaching high school and middle school special education. The students I have are amazing! I also have the opportunity to work directly with Mr. and Mrs. Stroud-Lusk, who are like a super cool mom and dad. They are so helpful, loving, and tease me a little too! Everyone knows I am gullible and naïve. I just found out yesterday that I get to be a part of Outdoor Education. Are you ready for this? Outdoor Ed is a weeklong adventure that the school takes all the middle schoolers on to learn about the environment and such. This year the students are going to Tohol, a volcano site, and another beach site with coral reef. The students also learn how to kill and prepare a chicken! I know what you are thinking, are you sure you want to go Mads? I am super pumped! I get to help with the cooking and the ministry projects that the students do during the week! I am actually excited about “roughing” it for the week and getting to know my students better! Overall, I am so attached already to Faith Academy and its teachers. It is such a breath of fresh air to be surrounded by people who have the same vision, mind and passions all using them to serve the Lord to the best of their surrendered ability.

On a completely different note, I have spent several hours in the last week at the local orphanages. I had the opportunity to go to TLC- the Little Children’s Home on Saturday and Gentle Hands on Sunday. I am in love. I held so many sweet babies and played with some awesome kids. It amazes me to see the great need that these kids have; I was blown away by the level of surrender in the lives of the families who run the orphanage and their commitment to see the gospel worked out in their daily lives. They give up their freedoms, privacy, and time to serve these children. I am completely hooked. If I could I would fill my suitcase and bring them all home with me. (that might not be a good idea...to put them in my suitcase.) Oh, did I mention we borrowed one of the sweet babies for the weekend? I can’t wait to go again on Sunday to do some more cuddling.

Ok. So I realize I am not the best communicator or the most eloquent with my words, but I am trying to do my best to spill out all the things that have happened and all the things in my head on paper for you to read. It’s hard, but stick with me. Thanks for faithfully reading and praying. You guys are the best. Dad is getting a box to send with someone coming to the Philippines from the states so if you want to send me a letter or whatnot send it to the address below by January 30. K. thanks

-Mads

Mailing Address: Madison Wheeler, 4432 Brookfield Drive, Wilson, NC 27896

Financial Support: Madison Wheeler, PO BOX 209, Stantonsburg, NC 27883

Prayer Requests:

- - That the Lord would open doors for me to build relationships and share His glory with those around me.

- - Families for all of these precious children at the orphanages

- - A greater reality of the sin in the world and a vision of taking the gospel to the nations

- - Wisdom and Discernment for the future

2 comments:

  1. Praying Ephesians 3:16 for you today - "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being."

    Love reading your stories Madison. Keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have loved having you so far. You are always welcome to stay forever at Faith. :)

    PS. Taal Volcano

    ReplyDelete