Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lessons from the Lord...

Sunday, Jan 16

Now that I am been in country for five days, I have started to feel the overwhelming emotions of doing life in another country. While I still feel like I am in the “honeymoon” stage of the transition, small things have started to surface in my heart that is shaking my heart. I attended Union Church of Manila in one of the main cities with my house mate. It amazed me to see the variation of cultures and nationalities in the congregation. I can imagine heaven will be sort of like that: so many different people all singing praises to the King. I couldn’t help but let my eyes wander to the differences and similarities to the States. I was overcome by the presence of the Lord in the place. The sermon was about Matthew 20, where the sons of Zebedee’s Mother (Mary the mother of Jesus’ aunt) asked Jesus to make her sons be positioned at His right and left hands in glory. Jesus responds with a comparison of what greatness looks like in the Roman world and what greatness looks like for them. After church, I was able to join a small group Sunday school that discussed the sermon; I was floored to hear the ideas and reflections of the people in the group. I walked away with one key thing on my mind.

So often in the States we come to Jesus and say ‘Lord, here is my agenda could you please bless it?’ It seems as though we think that we are to bring our ministry or desire to the Lord and He will make us fruitful because we are in His ‘circle’, just like the sons of Zebedee. But, what is it that makes one great? The pastor said that, ‘Greatness does not come from tyrannical leadership, but from faithful presence.’ What would it look like if greatness did not simply fill the room, but enlarged it? I was left pondering how in the next 17 weeks, and for the rest of my life, will surrender to not my own definition of greatness, but to that of Jesus?

"It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." Matthew 20:26-28

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts, they are definitely felt here in Manila. More to come soon!

-Mads

No comments:

Post a Comment