Monday, April 11, 2011

The Lord directs His steps...

Yesterday was exactly one month until I will step off the plane at RDU! Since we are talking about our “steps”, I think this is a great time to share with you my next steps. First, a little background information: When I was preparing to come to the Philippines, many probably thought that I would arrive and it would fulfill my desire to take the gospel to the nations; but, in the depths of my heart I could not help but feel like this was going to be just the beginning. I really did not intend to stay in the Philippines or go somewhere else for that matter. I had always pictured myself going back to the states, possibly going to seminary, or getting my masters; All the while, I could not let go of the verse in Proverbs 16:9 that says, “the mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” I continued to pray that the Lord would help me to make my plans into His plans. Fast forward a few weeks and you will find me at a crossroad of decision. I was faced with the opportunity to stay at Faith, take a position at Santiago Christian School or just go home and find a job. All looked promising, all looked good. I really believe that sometimes the Lord gives us a choice. He gives us options of ways we can serve Him and he wants us to use our Godly wisdom and discernment to make a decision. Through much prayer, counsel from wise friends, and guidance of Scripture (and many hours of no sleep), I have made a decision.

In October 2011, I will be leaving as a full time missionary to serve the people of the Dominican Republic. I will be serving at Santiago Christian School as the Coordinator of Middle School and High School Special Education. While in the Dominican, I hope to be able to establish community outreach programs (feeding programs or vacation Bible schools). I have a desire to be involved with community outreach and discipleship in the surrounding villages. The Lord has given me the opportunity to lead a short term trip of college students to the Dominican this summer. (This opportunity came before I was even offered a position at Santiago! Crazy, huh?!) We will be going to San Pedro to a sugar cane village to do a VBS: Creation to Christ. I pray that this will lead to the forming of relationships and ministry in the Dominican.

You are probably thinking (like me), “WOW Madison! It sounds awesome!” I am so blessed beyond comprehension to be able to take the gospel to the Dominican Republic and share His message of salvation with so many people. Right now, I am faced with the reminder that I cannot do this alone. The Lord has reminded me that He has called me to something so much bigger than myself. In order to leave by October, I have to establish my prayer support and financial support to live in another country. Santiago Christian School provides a lot of benefits for their teachers, but I will still need to raise support. I am so excited to see how the Lord is going to use this empty vessel to do His work. Thanks for reading and coming along on His journey with me! I pray that you are somehow blessed through this and will partner with me in taking the Gospel to the Dominican Republic. If you would like to know more about the mission I will be joining, where I am going, or what I will be doing, please send me an email (mcwheeler@liberty.edu) or a facebook message!

Resting in His faithfulness,

Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment