Saturday, April 2, 2011

Make a difference for one.

“Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. –Well, why don’t you ask Him?- Because I am afraid He would ask me the same question.”

Over the last three months, I have witnessed more hurting, poor, sick, lonely, and needy people than I have seen in my whole life. Initially, I was overwhelmed with the great need of some many people. It broke my heart to see children needing families, parents struggling to provide and survive, and groups of people distressed beyond comprehension. I didn’t even know how to swallow these emotions and overcome the feeling of helplessness (exactly what these people were feeling in the other extreme). After a few weeks, these emotions began to mellow and I was able to see the situation without the flood of emotions and in light of what I really had to offer. I came to understand that these people needed hope. They need Christ.

I have been wrestling with the balance of knowing these people need Christ, but also knowing these people needed practical daily needs too. In the past, many churches have struggled with the balance of faith and works. I struggled with knowing what was right and happened to stumble upon a book that I would highly recommend (it was recommended to me by a dear friend): “The Hole in our Gospel” by Richard Sterns. In one of the chapters, Richard discusses the issue exactly. He takes his readers straight to the passage in Ephesians 2:8-10 that says, “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.” Right there in the book of Ephesians it settles it: We are saved by faith for His good works. [It was like my eyes were opened wide!] God doesn’t call us just to have faith, but to carry out His good works that He has prepared for us. After establishing this, I was still left with the question: What does this mean for me?

This brings me to a story that I read that really changed my perspective:

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…”
I made a difference for that one.”

The Lord is calling me. Not to become overwhelmed with the great need, but to pick one star fish up at a time and make a difference. He is calling me to make a difference in word and deed in one person’s life at a time. I am praying that the Lord would continue to do a work in my heart and that He would break my heart for the things that break His. Thanks for reading friends. I also pray that the Lord would do the same thing in your lives, in your community and in your own home.

“Then the King will say, “I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me- you did it to me.” Matthew 25:40 MSG

-Mads

Prayer Request:

-Wisdom and discernment for future job/mission [financial and prayer support]

-Stewardship of the finances the Lord has blessed me with

-Opportunities to share my faith to those I encounter

-Health and Safety during this last month in the Philippines

1 comment:

  1. Mads! We miss and love you! Thanks for challenging me to walk in the works that our Father has prepared for me before He even called me to Himself. Can't wait for you, Kays, and me to have a "triple date" when you get home to hear about all that the Lord has done and is doing in your midst and in your heart while you've been there. Praying for you sista!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete