Saturday, April 9, 2011

One Month, 30 Days

Today is April 10. (Well, in the Philippines at least)... I can’t believe that I only have one more month here in the Philippines! Time has gone by so fast since arriving January 10, 2011. When I think about the last three months here in the Philippines, I am overwhelmed with the goodness of the Lord and his precious faithfulness. I can remember stepping off the air plane that warm January night (It was quite strange getting on the plane in 30 degree weather and getting off the plane in 85 degree weather, still in the same month!) and having this overwhelming feeling of peace. I knew from that moment that the Lord was going to use the next four months to change my life completely and to stretch me in ways that I have never known. This has proven to be true. I want to share with you a few things that I have learned and that the Lord has worked out in me during my time in the Philippines.

1. God is faithful. This is a lesson that I have known for most of my life, but I have really learned to live like I believe that He is faithful. Not that He can be faithful, when he chooses, or that He is faithful sometimes; but I have learned that my God is faithful at all times. This is a wonderful truth to learn because it changes the way you live. The way that you live is a direct reflection of what you believe about God. I want to learn to live in such a way that people have no doubt about what I believe about God.

2. Poverty is real. Living in the States, you often know about poverty or see it when you go to different parts of town; however, there is nothing like seeing it first hand and living in it. Often Americans have the mindset that poverty is a result of laziness and mishandling of your resources, but my view is quite different. Sickness, sin, and lack of clean water all contribute to poverty (as well as many other things) and create a spiraling effect of poverty. Statistics can help you get an idea of how many people are hurting all over the world, but seeing it with your own eyes changes everything. I am disgusted when I think of all of the times I have wasted food or gotten wrapped up in material things. I am wrestling with how to change my life to help others, even the little things can make a difference.

3. Spending time with God sustains you above all else. The past four months have been a beautiful journey of time in God’s Word and spending time in prayer. There were so many distractions living in the U.S. that took my attention away from His word. Although there are still distractions (often different from those in the states), I have seen how crucial it is to spend time with Jesus. His word wakes you up in the morning when you are still tired. His word replaces the thoughts Satan may try to feed you. His word is enough to encourage and keep you even in the lowest of times. He is enough.

4. The Lord will direct your steps. I learned this lesson in a HUGE way this semester, but you will have to wait until my next post to read about my next steps…. (sorry, this post was getting rather long…)

Thanks so much for reading. I cherish your prayers, letters and thoughts along my journey! Hope to see you soon. May God bless you and keep you.

Sincerely, Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment